Sunday, October 19, 2008

Markets!

Right now, at the end of October, my/the farm schedule is still dominated by markets. Twice a week, T and I harvest, pack the truck, and drive off to market. Working at farmers' market was one of the things I was most excited about before coming here, and after three weeks and six markets under my belt, I'm still enjoying it.

I'm kind of a farmers’ market junkie, and neither of our markets disappoints. I love markets generally for their array of colorful and healthful food, the opportunity to support local producers, the profusion of re-usable canvas bags. But it's really the people who make the market, and some wonderful characters have turned up at market. Both markets we go to have a great community of vendors, trading goods and catching up during the quiet moments between sales. There's one baker who gave us two bushels of bread that he couldn't sell one day; and there are two lovely ladies at one market who sell crepes and give them free to vendors in exchange for herbs or fruit. And I love all the friendly and wacky people who turn up as customers. They ask all kinds of questions - my favorite customer this week had a greyhound wearing a blue-flame patterned sweater, and she was absolutely delighted that we were selling golden raspberries.

I haven’t even mentioned the rush that comes from doing basic arithmetic on the fly in front of strangers (6.30 for tomatoes plus 3.50 for eggs and 2.50 for a bunch of kale leaves how much change out of a 20.00? Don't try this while sleepy.)

I worry a lot about the world’s problems. Farmers markets offer a concrete way to feel like I'm making a difference - in selling fresh, organic produce, people get the opportunity to buy and eat food that's good for both them and the environment and the farm gets to stay solvent. And I love that it provides a gathering space for the community - it's often been the place where I go to catch up with my friends.

Our markets are over at the end of October, and even though our truck brings less and less as fall frost kills the remaining crops, and even though they're time consuming, I will be sad for them to end.

No comments: